Two years ago in the fall, we toured Inch House – historic mansion located in our area.
First of all – why is it called Inch House? The name ‘inch’ means ‘island’ in gaelic, meaning that back in a day this house was probably located on a dry area within boggy grounds .
House had many owners over the years, today it is a community centre. It all started in the 1400s (or even earlier, historians are not entirely sure) when L-plan tower house was built. Various extensions were built over the years, that’s why this building is so eclectic inside out!
The most notable extensions of the house were added in 1617,1634,1890,1892.
The main entrance.
The whole hall burned down in a fire in 1979. Stairway was replaced, but stained glass in windows was not. It’s a shame, because it must have been even more impressive.
Basement dining room is just an empty cellar now. There were so many people there, that it was impossible to take a picture.
Here’s a retro picture:
Barrel ceiling is an excellent feature!
Door to the right and we can go up yet another stairs. A spiral staircase was built in 1617. It must be sooo creepy at night! Actually,it was sooo creppy during the day!
(Not all of the rooms were available to public)
The most famous owners, Sir Robert Gordon Gilmour and his wife Lady Susan Lygon, refurbished and further extended property in 1981.The guide told us that Lady Susan took long walks from Inch House to Craigmillar Castle (stay tuned for tour).Craigmillar Castle was owned by Gilmours at the time.
Gilmour family sold Inch House to Edinburgh Council in 1946 .