For those of you, who have just started reading our whiny story, here is a quick recap: we’ve moved into our apartment May 2014 (full house tour), after very unexpected notice from our previous landlord (previous house tour). This apartment seemed like a really good choice at the time ( considering scotland’s market). The price was ok, it looked ok. But hubby warned me. He was soooo soooo against renting this place.
We didn’t have to wait long for a first ‘surprise’. Mould in the bedroom was revealed the day previous tenants removed their furniture and so it happened that, that was the day when we’ve got our keys . After quick refurbishment, house seemed ok for a moment, but then this awful gutter smell started to appear every now and then. Old plumbing, I suppose? Definitely, not appetizing while eating dinner!
Then (beginning of the July), all the main lights in the house went off and search for a connection block revealed mud, mould and bad electricity job underneath the floorboards (cables in the mud, clumsy cable connections).
Ain’t that pretty? 😉
We still don’t have main light in the kitchen (no window there, dark as a foggy night!). I wash dishes with the kind help of a desk lamp. And I dare not to fantasise about making a toast at the same time- not enough sockets!
But it used to be worse – we didn’t have any main lights in the apartment for over a month.
And now onto revenge of the machines…
Hob is turning off by itself, during cooking. The knob is definitely on, but there’s no fire. I never smelled any gas though, maybe it shuts down automatically?
Smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night without any reason- no fire, no smoke, not even a cigarette haze! It wasn’t a normal smoke alarm sound (I’ve heard few before #burnt chops), it was like the whole neighborhood was on fire! Concerned neighbours started to appear in the windows, before we’ve finally disassembled the thing . I considered beating it with a broom, till its death.We changed batteries several times and the same thing happened again and again. Rise of the machines!
Door bell went off 4 o’clock in the morning and then several times during the day,but nobody was at the door. I seriously thought about ghosts for a brief moment! But, apparently, that often happens with wireless door bells .
Because of all the dampness, slugs started to visit the apartment – ugh !
You’re putting clean,fresh clothes on and you can feel they are damp. Actually,we can wear wet towels from now on – it would not make much of a difference. We keep apartment well ventilated,we turn heating on often. Our current, summer bill was bigger than our winter bill from a previous house. We’ve got 4 moisture absorbents in the bedroom alone, but to be honest, there is not much you can do, when you live over a swamp. I’m expecting beavers to start building dams and lodges under the floor, any day now.
Oh, and did I mention, I’m allergic to mould? 😀
This apartment definitely added a lot in terms of entertainment value to our live. Regardless of that, I’ve just asked landlord for a rent discount and I’m waiting for a response. Either way, we’ve got only two months left on the lease!
Munsters Mansion seems to be in a better shape than our place. I can wear a wig and feed the dragon, that lives underneath the stairs.
I wore Lily Munster wig on Halloween once and it suited me 🙂